The BRI accommodates comprehensive interdisciplinary research with a combination of BSL-3 biocontainment spaces that are not commonly found under one roof.
These include not only BSL-3Ag livestock housing and specialized spaces to study plant diseases or plant-based vaccines, but also large, versatile spaces to facilitate research at BSL-2 that requires very large equipment important to the food processing industry (e.g., meatpacking line, produce-packing line). If necessary, these spaces could be rapidly modified to support other national needs.
Our professional staff members provide exemplary support for training and education, research, education and outreach activities, safety, security, compliance, and operations.
Home to 113,000 square feet of lab, education, and administrative space, this BSL-3 and BSL3-Ag facility offers a wide range of research and training opportunities.
- Specialized safety features
- Total: 113,000 ft2
- Laboratory, animal holding, and support: 31,000 ft2
- Education and training: 10,000 ft2
- Administrative: 10,000 ft2
- BSL-3 research laboratories and associated support spaces
- Prep laboratories
- BSL-3Ag animal holding rooms and support spaces
- ABSL-3 vivarium
- ACL-3 insectary
- BSL-2 food animal safety/security and food processing areas
- Controlled environment rooms (plant and cell culture)
- Walk-in cold rooms/freezers
- Alkaline hydrolysis disposal system
- Liquid effluent waste treatment (KOH capable)
- Pass-through autoclaves and decontamination chambers
- Chemical dunk tank for material flow
- Sophisticated building controls
- Single pass air system, i.e., no recirculation of air
- Pressure gradients maintain lowest to highest risk directional airflow within containment
- Back up power systems, boilers and chillers to maintain continuity of operations in the event of utility disruption
- Versatile BSL-3Ag housing for multiple species
- Air pressure resistant doors for high-containment isolation
Watch the video above and learn how one enters a BSL-3 laboratory.