BSL-2 Food Processing
The BRI's BSL-2 food security and food processing areas occupy over 2,500 square feet. Biocontainment enhancements include effluent decontamination, magnetically interlocked anterooms, connected shower change areas, HEPA-filtered exhaust, and redundant ventilation systems. This area contains various industrial-scale food processing equipment for use in food safety research.
All areas are BSL-2 and include:
- Poured concrete construction
- Individual security PIN code access
- Interlocked anteroom doors
- Shower/change directly connected to the space
- Overhead rail system
- Adjacent research laboratory
- Adjacent walk-in cold rooms and freezer
- HEPA filtration of exhaust air
- Liquid effluent decontamination system
- Dual electrical feed and stand‐by power generator
If you are interested in conducting research at the BRI, contact the Director.