BSL-2 Food Processing
The BRI's BSL-2 food security and food processing areas occupy more than 2,500 square feet. Biocontainment enhancements include effluent decontamination, magnetically interlocked anterooms, connected shower change areas, HEPA-filtered exhaust and redundant ventilation systems. This area contains various industrial-scale food processing equipment for use in food safety research.
All areas are BSL-2 and include:
- Poured concrete construction.
- Individual security PIN code access.
- Interlocked anteroom doors.
- Shower/change directly connected to the space.
- Overhead rail system.
- Adjacent research laboratory.
- Adjacent walk-in cold rooms and freezer.
- HEPA filtration of exhaust air.
- Liquid effluent decontamination system.
- Dual electrical feed and stand‐by power generator.
If you are interested in conducting research at the BRI, contact the director.