The Biosecurity Research Institute is one of the most innovative employers in our area. Joining our team means working alongside motivated, experienced staff to facilitate cutting-edge research, training, and education related to the health and safety of plants, animals, and food.
We value teamwork, diversity, and personal growth; these values form a solid foundation for our organizational goals of promoting safe, inventive research to benefit our region, our nation, and our world.
Our team takes pride in supporting the important research activities conducted at our facility. We seek high achievers from all backgrounds.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
NOTICE: New non-student employees and rehired non-student employees are subject to a State of Kansas Tax Clearance check. Find out more about tax clearance.
NOTICE: A Criminal Background Check will be required for all candidates selected for hire.
Training Support Specialist (Biosecurity Research Institute)
Department: 3670050040 Biosecurity Research Institute
Work type:Staff Full Time (Unclassified)
Categories:Administrative / Professional, Communications / Public Relations / Marketing, Education / Instructional
Pay Grade: 07A
About This Role:
The role of the Training Support Specialist is to contribute to ongoing research and education mission activities of the Biosecurity Research Institute by providing educational programming and training support and performing detailed and critical duties to meet organizational and regulatory requirements. Create learning solutions and materials effective for adult learner audiences to include online, instructor-led, and hands-on training sessions. Work with the BRI Biosafety Officer and Director of Biocontainment Operations to ensure BRI employees and researchers remain compliant with applicable training regulations and maintain proficiency in practices that ensure safety and security. Develop promotional materials for public distribution and website. Assist in the procurement of training grants and manage the execution of activities.
Why Join Us:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) at Pat Roberts Hall on the Kansas State University Manhattan campus is a unique biocontainment research and education facility. The BRI supports comprehensive multidisciplinary research, education and training programs that address threats to plant, animal, and human health, including food-borne pathogens. Home to 113,000 square feet of laboratory, education, and administrative space, this BSL-3, ABSL-3, and BSL3-Ag facility offers a diverse range of research and education opportunities.
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off-vacation, sick and holidays.
To learn more visit: http:www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
$33,920 - $43,250
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised:25 Jul 2019 Central Daylight Time
Applications close:Open until filled
Additional Job Description:
Educational/Training Activities: (30%)
- Design and develop instructional content, assessments and activities that align with identified learning objectives. Collaborate with subject matter experts to obtain suggestions and resources for content. Audiences include research professionals, graduate students, undergraduate students, facility support staff, international participants, and community members. Methods of delivery include face-to-face, blended, and online environments.
- Develop, update, and maintain online training courses using Adobe Captivate and Adobe Creative Suite programs or similar interactive e-learning authoring systems.
- Create quizzes and meaningful course interactions to increase learning and retention.
- Write audio scripts for training modules. Capture audio/video content during live events, edit material to generate multimedia deliverables.
- Ensure produced materials comply with Kansas State University Branding Guide, copyright laws, and other related University policies.
- Provide support for training courses and workshops to include facilitating activities and assessments, assisting instructors and participants.
BRI Learning Management System: (25%)
- Lead Administrator of the BRI Learning Management System including updating, monitoring, and maintaining courses delivered through the system.
- Maintain complete, accurate, detailed records of required courses and attendee’s completion. Requires timely generation of training invitations, accurate enrollment for online and face-to-face courses and events, and perfect documentation of course completion.
- Create regulatory required reports, monitor and report on compliance status.
BRI Promotional Communications: (20%)
- Initiate development and maintain currency of various promotional materials for the BRI to include brochures, rack cards, bulletins, and annual reports.
- Create visually interesting graphics for use on BRI website, online training, and slide presentations. Provide ideas, suggestions, and content for continually improving the website.
- Compose articles and press releases; liaise with communications personnel in VPR’s office to announce research publications, achievements, and other noteworthy activities of the BRI.
- Coordinate Open House activities and serve as campus liaison for the BRI.
Educational Grant Development: (15%)
- Assist with procurement, development and management of grant-based educational training for multiple audiences.
- Search for funding opportunities for training grants and/or workshops that coincide with the mission, expertise of instructors, activities and BRI facility.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities as deemed necessary or as required: (10%)
- The position description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. The employee is required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor and BRI managers.
- On a backup basis, use knowledge of BRI resources and staff responsibilities to direct telephone calls to the appropriate personnel.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High School graduation and three years of relevant experience. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the organization.
- Ability to pass general background check upon employment and ability to successfully clear FBI Security Risk Assessment to perform duties associated with the Select Agent program within 90 days and every three years thereafter.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, education, or field relevant to fulfill the duties of the position.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills: ability to build constructive and effective relationships with a wide range of people. Strong customer-service attitude. Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines
- Knowledge and experience with basic database use.
- Demonstrated experience with Learning Management Systems such as Totara, Bridge, or other e-learning platforms.
- Experience using Adobe Captivate and Adobe Creative Suite programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Edge, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Audition.
- Knowledge and proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point.
- Familiarity with infectious diseases and biosafety fields.
Licenses/registrations/certifications and equipment used:
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment (US citizen or alien with permanent resident card)
- Consent to and pass an initial basic criminal background check – refreshed every 3 years (condition of employment)
- Consent to and pass a Security Risk Assessment through Department of Justice for Select Agent Program (condition of employment)
- Valid driver’s license