The Biosecurity Research Institute is one of the most innovative employers in our area. Joining our team means working alongside motivated, experienced staff to facilitate cutting-edge research, training, and education related to the health and safety of plants, animals, and food.
We value teamwork, diversity, and personal growth; these values form a solid foundation for our organizational goals of promoting safe, inventive research to benefit our region, our nation, and our world.
Our team takes pride in supporting the important research activities conducted at our facility. We seek high achievers from all backgrounds.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
NOTICE: New non-student employees and rehired non-student employees are subject to a State of Kansas Tax Clearance check. Find out more about tax clearance.
NOTICE: A Criminal Background Check will be required for all candidates selected for hire.
Department: 3670050040 Biosecurity Research Institute
Job no: 509043
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Office / Clerical
Pay Grade: 10A
About This Role:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) is hiring for an Executive Assistant. Contribute to ongoing research and education mission activities of the BRI by providing executive support to the Associate Vice President for Research/Director of the BRI. This position plays a critical role in a highly sensitive environment. The goals and mission of the BRI are related to education, training, and research in infectious disease. External organizations and individual collaborations and partnerships are routinely encountered in conducting business at the BRI. Funding, contracts, cooperative agreements, publications, community outreach engagements, facility operations, education/training programs, etc., will be managed through the office of the Associate Vice President for Research/Director of the BRI to promote and carry out the mission of the Institute for the University.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a broad range of activities and be able to work independently, proactively, and collaboratively. S/he must be exceedingly well organized and flexible. This position requires the ability to interact diplomatically and efficiently with a broad range of individuals, including faculty, directors, department heads, deans, other senior executive staff, students, as well as officials from other universities, and international visitors. The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to work as a team player and must be comfortable working to deadlines. Excellent oral and written communication skills, a high degree of discretion, a commitment to providing excellent service, and attention to detail.
Why Join Us:
The Biosecurity Research Institute (BRI) at Pat Roberts Hall on the Kansas State University Manhattan campus is a unique biocontainment research and education facility that has helped Kansas State University become a national leader in biodefense research.
- The BRI is the home of comprehensive infectious disease research to address threats to plant, animal, and human health, including food-borne pathogens. Read more about the research performed here.
- The BRI is unique in its capacity to perform multidisciplinary research on multiple pathogens and host species within a single facility. Find out more about our facility and capabilities.
- The BRI is committed to training the next generation of scientists who will study recurring and emerging infectious diseases. BSL-3, ABSL-3 and BSL3-Ag spaces offer a diverse range of research and educational opportunities. Explore education and training at the BRI.
- The BRI offers highly trained staff and unparalleled research support.
The BRI played a critical role in the selection of Manhattan as the site for the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility. Research, education, and training at the BRI are closely aligned with NBAF needs and priorities.
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off- vacation, sick and holidays.
To learn more visit: https://k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
Executive Support: (40%)
- Manage complex and rapidly changing calendars, with primary responsibility for the Associate Vice President for Research/Director of the BRI. Includes managing the full range of logistics such as consideration of various time zones, reserving meeting rooms, set-up for video and audioconferences, agendas and documents, and presentations and planning for community engagement and outreach, education and training initiatives, planning of research by faculty, national collaborators, and international collaborators. Determine priority of visitors, phone calls and resolve scheduling conflicts.
- Schedule complex meetings and multi-day visits of visitors to the University.
- Arrange special events, meetings, conferences and calls hosted by the Associate VPR/Director and other managers at the BRI. Assure complete preparation for events, meetings, and speaking engagements and orchestrate necessary follow-up. Schedule and host virtual tours, community engagement and outreach groups, education and training participants. This position requires the ability to interact diplomatically and efficiently with a broad range of individuals.
- Attend meetings and prepare and distribute minutes/notes, as requested.
- Draft initial and final correspondence, reports, charts, and a variety of other documents such as brochures and posters. Provide regular updates to the BRI Daily Activities List. Code events and generate graphics to illustrate attendees and activities.
- Communicate electronically on behalf of the Associate Vice President for Research/Director with government and public officials. Purpose of interactions may include scheduling meetings, virtual tours, travel, initiatives of international organizations, colleagues, and collaborators.
Travel Coordination: (20%)
- Organize and secure all international and domestic travel arrangements for Associate Vice President for Research/Director of the BRI and DMP Associate Professor including preparation of travel requests and reimbursements. Requires ability to work with travel sponsors outside the University to secure flights that meet their requirements and process reimbursements using various formats of reimbursement forms. Manage filing system of future travel in order to prepare accurate itineraries/travel documents and completed travel for reimbursement verification.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of university policies and procedures regarding travel. Use University ‘e-forms’ to complete accurate documentation for University-funded travel.
- Provides direct supervision of Office Specialist III position, to include selection and training, evaluation, mediation and conflict resolution.
- Proactively maintain the BRI website, working with administrators to ensure current and accurate information. Incorporate best practices in website design, make the website interesting, creative and informative.
- Maintain comprehensive filing system of reports, correspondence (incoming, outgoing, electronic), materials, papers, and other various documents for current use and historical records.
- Assist with projects and/or special requests, at the direction of the Associate Vice President/Director of the BRI.
Grant Preparation: (10%)
- Assist in coordination and preparation of grant proposals (biosketches, CV, references) and reports for existing and potentially new programs. In this capacity s/he works with the Associate VPR/Director of BRI, staff and faculty scientists in the planning of new programs and directions that could potentially be implemented.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities as Deemed Necessary or As Required (10%):
- The position description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. The employee is required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and inclusion. The university actively seeks individuals who foster a collegial environment and cooperative interactions with coworkers, students, and others. The University is dedicated to promoting the Principles of Community.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of relevant experience. This position may use an educational equivalency as determined by the hiring manager.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills: ability to build constructive and effective relationships with a wide range of people
- Strong customer-service attitude
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines
- Proven success providing administrative/programmatic support and coordination for an administrator at the director/department head level, including scheduling/calendar management, support for events, meetings, speaking engagements, or special projects, preparation of documents for signature, and communications support
- Superior organizational and project management skills with the ability to pay high attention to accuracy, detail, and follow-through.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills including courtesy, professionalism, and a cooperative attitude
- Ability to work in a collegial manner with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated experience in making international travel arrangements and reimbursements.
- Familiarity with university electronic programs including e-forms, e-mail client, and Content Management System or other similar systems for accounting, calendar and e-mail communication, and website maintenance
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency in MS Office Suite including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint to include online calendaring/scheduling and email, and Internet research
- Ability to pass a general background check upon employment and ability to successfully clear FBI Security Risk Assessment to perform duties associated with the Select Agent program within 90 days and every three years thereafter
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment (US citizen or alien with permanent resident card)
- Applicants must consent to and pass an initial basic criminal background check – refreshed every 3 years (condition of employment)
- Consent to and pass a Security Risk Assessment through the Department of Justice for Select Agent Program (condition of employment)
- Valid driver’s license upon employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening begins on March 30, 2020.
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range:
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Advertised: 13 Mar 2020 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: 30 Mar 2020 Central Daylight Time
Back to search resultsApply nowRefer a friend